Mrs. Schwarz will use the five areas of instruction: problem solving, communications, connections, reasoning, and technology to teach the following mathematical content.
Mathematics 1: 6th Grade Math
- Number Concepts and Operations- decimals, fractions, percents, order of operations
- Patterns, Functions, and Algebraic Concepts- simple equations, graph integers, locate and plot ordered pairs
- Geometry and Measurement- classify triangles, area, perimeter, volume, angles, units, tools, formulas
- Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability- frequency tables, stem and leaf plots, circle graphs, predictions, independent events
Pre-Algebra: 7th Grade Math
- Number Concepts and Operations- square roots, rational numbers, scientific notation, percent
- Patterns, Functions, and Algebraic Concepts- exponents, order of operations, symbols, expressions, proportions, function tables, linear functions, inequalities
- Geometry and Measurement- circumference, area, angles, lines, volume, Pythagorean Theorem, units, tools, formulas
- Data Analysis, Statistics, and Probability- collect, organize, represent data, graphs, plots, surveys, simulations, charts, tables, predictions, independent and dependent events
For more detailed information, please review the descriptions published in the Howard County Public School System 2010-2011 Family Guides for 6th Grade and 7th Grade.